Sweet Potato Pie
- Cooking time
- 4 Persons
- Nutritional value for one portion
- 390 kcal/ 1630 kJ, 70 g carbs, 3 g protein, 10 g fat
1. Start by preparing the pie crust. Place the flour, cold vegan butter, salt and sugar in a food processor and pulse until a crumbly dough forms. Slowly add the cold water until the dough is crumbly but sticks together between your fingers. Roll the dough into a firm ball, wrap in cling film and place it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
2. In the meantime, peel and cube the sweet potato, then steam the potato cubes for at least 15-20 minutes or until soft. Transfer the soft cubes to a blender alongside the cream, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt and cardamom (if using). Blend until smooth, stopping regularly to scrape down the sides of your blender.
3. Between two sheets of non-stick baking parchment roll your dough into a circle of roughly 2-4 mm thickness.
4. Lightly grease and coat an 8-inch pie dish with flour, then flip the pie crust into the dish. Trim the overhanging dough and crimp around the edges. Use a fork to pierce the pie crust and set it into the fridge for 10 minutes.
5. Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
6. Pour the sweet potato filling into the pie crust and smooth out the top with a spatula. Transfer to the oven and bake for 45 minutes, rotating the pie dish halfway through.
7. After 45 minutes, cover the pie in aluminum foil and bake for another 15 minutes, covered.
8. Allow for the pie to cool down for 30 minutes to an hour, then transfer to the fridge and let it set for at least 2 hours. Once the 2 hours elapse, carefully remove the pie from the pie dish and place it onto a serving dish.
9. Place the marshmallows into a non-stick saucepan and coat them in the rapeseed oil. Whilst continuously stirring, heat the marshmallows on low heat, until they soften. Continue to stir until the marshmallows are broken down into a soft fluff.
10. Remove from the heat and spoon onto the sweet potato pie instantly. Use a blowtorch to caramelize the marshmallow fluff edges. Slice and enjoy the pie right away or keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days.